If you’re looking to remain cool and comfortable during hot seasons while watching TV or just being around the house, then you need to have the best tower fan.
Of course, you can simply turn on the air conditioner to lower the temperature level in your house, but what if you want to save money and not increasing your energy bill too much?
Air conditioners are now for consuming a lot of electricity, not to mention that they can be quite noisy. On the other hand, a tower fan is a much more affordable solution and best of all, you can place it in any room you want.
These products are available in various sizes and shapes. They can be operated using a remote and some sophisticated ones can even offer heat which can be useful in winter times.
Unlike pedestal fans, tower fans also have a small footprint, so even if your apartment is quite compact, you can still find a place for a tower fan in your house.
Before buying such a product, it is important to know more about them and familiarize yourself with the aspects that make them efficient and powerful.
Keep reading this article and you’ll learn everything you need to know about tower fans.
How to Choose a Tower Fan?
Fan speeds and modes
Each tower has different operating speeds and one or more fans. Users can select from different modes and intensity levels to best suit their needs. Some people prefer a cool breeze while others might enjoy more powerful ventilation.
You can change the fan speeds and operating modes using the included remote or by pressing a couple of buttons on the control panel. Most tower fans also come with a digital display, so it will be very easy for you to navigate the controls.
When buying a tower fan, you also need to be mindful of the noise level, especially if you plan to use it while you sleep or relax on the couch.
Most tower fans are relatively quiet, but some of them have been specifically designed to make as little noise as possible, even at high speeds.
If silence operation is paramount for you, go for a tower fan which has a small decibels output.
A tower fan is not just a practical piece of machinery anymore, it can also be used for decorative purposes.
Such products are designed to look good, are available in numerous color options and some of them are made from attractive materials such as aluminum, steel, magnesium, etc.
It is important to note here that tower fans also come with a small stand which ensures their stability and is usually made of metal.
Another interesting aspect consists of the dimensions of the fan and whether its height is adjustable or not. More sophisticated tower fans can be raised or lowered so that the air circulates at different height levels in your room.
Apart from selecting the intensity of the breeze, users can also adjust the direction of the air as some tower fans come with oscillating features.
These products basically have air louvers which change the direction of the airflow, so the coolness spreads evenly throughout the house.
Although a model with louvers might be a little more expensive, it is totally worth the cost because you have complete control over the airflow.
The blowing capacity actually refers to how big of a room a tower fan can cool. Some of them are more powerful and can easily cool down a room of several hundred square feet while others are designed for more compact spaces.
Especially if you think you’re going to use the fan in a small apartment and you want to save some money, go for a model which has a smaller capacity.
Wouldn’t be nice to be able to have your tower fan turned on at a precise hour during the day or night?
Well, this is entirely possible if you go for a fan which comes with a timer. Most tower fans come with programmable timers which can be set in 30 minutes increments up to 7 or 8 hours.
As a result, you can program the fan to start circulating cool air early in the morning, so you wake up to a cooler atmosphere in your house.
As any other product, tower fans come with warranties from the manufacturer. These can range between 1 and 5 years and cover repairs or part replacement costs.
Make sure that you check out this aspect and see exactly what your warranty policy covers, so you don’t have unpleasant surprises later on.
If you need more information on tower fans, you can check this article here.
Now that you know more about tower fans, let’s go ahead and take a look at a few excellent suggestions and reviews which come at affordable prices and are ideal to keep you cool this summer.
Best Tower Fans for 2020
My rating: 4.9/5
Ozari makes a wide variety of electronic products including kitchen and bathroom scales, oscillating fans and tower fans. The OZF3 model is a beautiful fan with multiple attractive features.
Let’s discover them:
1. 3 independent fans – this model has 3 independently controllable fans which circulate cool air throughout your house at 3 different speeds. You can actually control the speed of each fan independently, so you have up to 9 airflow modes to play with.
2. 3 colors available – you can select from up to 3 colors, depending on your preferences – white, grey or black with chrome accents. This helps you fit the tower fan in virtually any interior décor, making your rooms more elegant and eye-catching.
3. 90-degree oscillation – this tower fan also features oscillating options up to 90 degrees, so the air will be distributed evenly throughout your house. The oscillation happens quietly, so you’ll not be bothered while you relax, sleep or study.
4. Touch sensitive control panel – the control panel is mounted on top of the unit and features touch-sensitive buttons which allow you to control the main functions of this machine. The LED display shows various information such as status, whether the timer has been set, etc.
5. Timer – you might be happy to find out that this model also incorporates a timer which can be set up to 7.5 hours in 30 minutes increments. Feel free to set the timer via the control panel or by using a remote.
As a drawback, some customers complain that the warranty period for this product is just 1 year, but even so, that’s still a minor disadvantage.
This tower fan is built from durable materials, so it will definitely last a long period of time, not to mention that it requires little to no maintenance.
My rating: 4.8/5
Lasko is well known for making portable heaters, tower fans, and appliances which produce heat or coolness in general. The 2551 model from this brand is a wonderful ETL-listed tower fan with interesting features.
Here are some of them:
1. 3 quiet speeds – the fan operates quietly and it has 3 speeds you can choose from, depending on how much coolness you want at any given time. You can select the desired speed via the top-mounted control panel or by using the remote. Since this model is 42 inches tall, you will enjoy coolness evenly distributed across the room.
2. Optional air ionizer – you might also be happy to find out that this tower fan can be bought with an incorporated air ionizer which purifies the air and makes it more breathable, so you don’t have to buy one separately.
3. 3 colors available – this tower fan is also a thing of beauty. It comes in 3 colors such as silver, black or woodgrain and it looks perfect in pretty much any corner of the house. It even has a carrying handle so you can move it from place to place easier.
4. Timer – you can adjust the timer in 30 minutes increments and set it up to 7.5 hours. This energy saving feature will basically prevent a huge electricity bill and gives you more control over the cooling process.
5. Durable stand – this product is made from durable materials and it has a stable stand which prevents tripping or falling over. It is lightweight, portable, and can last for years of continuous usage.
As a downside, some users report that it doesn’t move the air with enough force. Make sure you set it on a higher fan speed and you direct it towards the center of the room.
Also, this tower fan is not designed to cool down huge apartments, warehouses or conference rooms, it can be used in living rooms, bedrooms, kitchens, etc.
My rating: 4.9/5
Honeywell specializes in making protection equipment for businesses of all sizes. Apart from eyes and ears protective equipment, this brand also makes great tower fans such as the HY-048BP model.
Here are the characteristics of this product:
1. 3 speeds fan – you can adjust the fan any way you want by choosing from low, medium, and high speeds. This can be done from the top control panel or by using a remote. Your tower fan is also equipped with an oscillation feature which distributes the air evenly across the entire room.
2. Compact and lightweight – this model from Honeywell is much more compact in comparison with the other tower fans on the market. It is about 33 inches tall and weighs around 14 pounds, so you can place it anywhere in your house, it doesn’t occupy a lot of space and it blends with the interior décor in a seamless manner.
3. LCD display – the top-mounted control panel has a small LCD display which shows valuable information about your tower fan. You can operate the appliance using the buttons surrounding the LCD display and adjust the air circulation intensity, oscillation angle, timer, etc.
4. Timer – yes, this tower fan also comes with a timer which can be set from 1 to 12 hours in 1-hour increments. It even comes with a programmable thermostat, so it can work in conjunction with your HVAC system to cool down your house when needed.
5. Air ionizer – your Honeywell tower fan also comes with an air ionizer which improves the quality of the air. The air filter keeps away pollen and dust, reducing the likelihood of developing an allergy.
Some users reported that this product is not sufficiently stable, but it comes with a stand made from metal, holding the entire fan firmly on the ground.
To make tipping over even less likely to happen, make sure you place it somewhere in the corner of the room and the problem is solved.
My rating: 4.9/5
Pelonis is a brand that makes a wide variety of home appliances such as heaters, tower fans, radiators, etc. This brand has an experience of more than 30 years in making household electronics.
The Oscillating Tower Fan which comes with 3 speeds is ideal for small and medium apartments.
1. 3 speeds fan – this is yet another product that comes with an adjustable fan that can blow cool air at 3 different speeds. You can select an appropriate speed using the control panel or remote. The higher speed is surprisingly quiet and that’s why homeowners use it most often.
2. Overheat protection – we all know how important safety is when it comes to household electronics and this tower fan from Pelonis comes with a motor with overhead protection. This prevents accidental short-circuits and fires from taking place in your home.
3. Timer function – your Pelonis tower fan also comes with a timer that can be programmed up to 8 hours. You can basically set it up to start cooling the room 1 hour before arriving home from work, dropping the temperature to a comfortable level.
4. Digital display – the display is generous and it can show the fan speed, timer status, and other information. You can operate this appliance by playing with the 5 physical buttons mounted just under the digital display.
5. Oscillating feature – this tower fan can distribute the air evenly across the room as it has oscillating features. Feel free to place it somewhere in your living room, bedroom or workshop and enjoy cool air everywhere.
Some customers complained that this model doesn’t have an adjustable height, but it is not a design fault. Pelonis makes other tower fans which have adjustable height and this model comes without this feature to keep the price down.
My rating: 4.8/5
I want to present to you yet another model from Honeywell – the HYF290B model which is a high-end tower fan incorporating a lot of features. It has a strong stand which prevents tipping over and looks elegant everywhere you put it.
1. 8 speeds fan – yes, you read it right, this model has no less than 8 speeds you can choose from. Some of these speeds include Whisper, Relax, Cool and the strongest one, Power Cool. Feel free to toggle between these speeds using the remote or digital control panel.
2. 5 Dimming levels – apart from cooling down your house, this fan also casts a beautiful light in your room, creating a serene atmosphere. You can select from 5 different dim options such as 100%, 75%, 50%, 25%, and off.
3. Timer function – you can also adjust the timer using the control panel or remote up to 8 hours. This is a money-saving feature that gives homeowners a lot of peace of mind.
4. Storage for remote – never be afraid of losing the remote again! This appliance from Honeywell comes with a storage space at the back of the control panel which is perfect for keeping your remote. This prevents losing it and keeps your nightstand or coffee table less cluttered.
5. Seriously lightweight – believe it or not, this tower fan weighs less than 10 pounds and it measures just 33 inches in height, so it is quite compact and lightweight. It even comes with a recessed handle to help you move it from room to room with little to no difficulty.
No product is perfect and this one got its fair share of critics from past users. For example, some customers report that the fan can become unreliable after a couple of months of usage and it might not function at higher fan speeds.
If this happens to you, make sure you read the instructions manual for troubleshooting tips and contact the manufacturer to use your warranty card.
My rating: 4.7/5
If you want another excellent and elegant model to take a look at, here is the T48310 tower fan from Lasko.
This product boasts a slim design, comes with attractive features and is sufficiently tall to ensure proper air ventilation throughout the entire room.
1. 3 speeds fan – you can use the remote or the control panel to toggle between 3 quiet speeds, depending on your preferences. Most people agree that this fan is sufficiently quiet, even at a high speed.
2. Air ionizer option – you can also have this appliance with an incorporated air ionizer which eliminates allergens such as dust, pollen, and other impurities from the air. As a result, not only that you enjoy a cool breeze of air every day, but the air quality will also be improved too.
3. Timer function – every respectable tower fan comes with a timer function and this model from Lasko is not an exception. You can set the timer up to 7 hours, depending on your preferences, and save a lot of money if you use the timer function frequently enough.
4. Widespread oscillation – this tower fan is 48 inches tall and to ensure that the air is evenly distributed across the room, it also comes with a widespread oscillation feature. You can enable it via the multifunction remote or control panel and prevent cold or hot spots from developing in your room.
5. Remote storage space – at the back of the control panel, you’ll find a carrying handle and a special place where you can store the remote, so you don’t lose it. This storage space is practical because it is hidden from plain sight and also prevents kids from accidentally turning the fan on or off while you’re not around.
When it comes to disadvantages, some people mention that the fan can make weird noises when the oscillating feature is turned on. If this happens to you, contact the manufacturer right away, maybe you have received a defective unit which can be replaced.
Kaz Honeywell HY-280
My rating: 4.9/5
Kaz is a brand that makes a wide variety of cooling accessories and appliances including tower fans, stand fans, table fans, and more.
The HY-280 model is one of the most advanced and high-tech tower fans money can buy today.
1. 8 speeds fan – you have up to 8 speeds to choose from when it comes to the intensity of the airflow, from whisper-quiet to really cool. Even at high speeds, most homeowners agree that the fan remains quiet enough so you can read a book, study, watch TV or work undisturbed.
2. 2 colors available – feel free to select from two colors – black and white – for this model, depending on what tickles your fancy. Best of all, both models come with a cord management feature which prevents tripping and makes your house less cluttered.
3. Timer feature – you can also adjust the timer from 1 to 8 hours and save a lot of money throughout the year. This model also comes with an auto shut off feature which automatically turns the fan off after a certain period of time.
4. Digital display – people of all ages can use this tower fan as it is intuitive and easy to understand. The large digital display shows vital information about the status of your fan and the surrounding physical buttons allow you to control the timer, speed setting, and oscillating feature.
5. Remote storage space – the remote included in the package allows you to control all the functions of this machine from a distance. When you’re done using the remote, you can simply put it in a special slot at the back of the tower fan, so you never lose track of it.
Some people complained about the high price of this model, but keep in mind that it comes with numerous practical features and advantages. At the end of the day, the money is justified in my opinion and most customers are very satisfied with this product.
My rating: 4.9/5
If you’re looking for a compact, lightweight tower fan, check out the 4930 model from Lasko.
This product comes with multiple attractive features and packs the power of a 20-inch fan in a sleek and elegant design.
1. 3 speeds fan – this is yet another model that comes with 3 operating speeds, low, medium, and high. You can select the preferred speed to cool down a room quicker and thanks to the oscillating feature, the airflow will be evenly distributed across space too.
2. Timer function – the incorporated timer help you save money and utilize this appliance at its full potential. Feel free to adjust the timer using the control panel or the included remote to make the tower fan cool your room early in the morning or at night while you sleep.
3. Carrying handle – at the back, you’ll be happy to find out a small recessed handle which helps you move the fan easier and quicker from one room to the other. Below the recessed handle, you’ll also find a slot for storing the remote control, so you will never lose it again!
4. Intuitive controls – the remote control has 4 buttons and it is very easy to use. The control panel mounted on top of the unit is also intuitive and comes with a digital display. Feel free to adjust the operating speed, timer, and other functions from here.
5. Safety plug – this product and all other Lasko products come with a Blue Plug feature which is an additional safety device that stops electrical current if a short-circuit or other problem is detected. This gives you more peace of mind and prevents electrical issues or fires in your apartment.
When it comes to drawbacks, some customers reported that this fan makes a lot of noise on the higher operating speed setting.
Each customer has a particular threshold when it comes to what noises are acceptable and what noises are too loud, so it is best to try the unit by yourself first and see how it goes.
Seville Classics EHF10127B
Company: Seville Classics
My rating: 4.7/5
Seville Classics makes a wide variety of attractive household products such as airlift desks, shelving units, workbenches, power tools, and of course, tower fans.
The EHF10127B model is made from durable materials and it comes in two color and size options.
1. 4 speeds fan – unlike other tower fans available on the market, this model comes with an “extra speed”, giving you the opportunity to choose from low, medium, high and “eco” mode. As the name implies, the “eco” mode saves a lot of energy while still offering a pleasant cool breeze throughout the house.
2. Steel grill – the steel air intake is designed to reduce noise levels and ensure proper airflow, not to mention that it also looks great on this product.
3. Timer function – you are able to adjust the timer according to your preferences up to 7.5 hours in 30 minutes increments. This also helps you save money and ensure that you have a cool house whenever you arrive back from work.
4. Oscillating feature – the air louvers will distribute air evenly across the room as they can turn side by side at an angle of 75 degrees. Therefore, you will not have hot or cold spots in your house because the tower fan ensures broad space coverage.
5. LED lighted controls – the control panel mounted on top of the unit has several push buttons that feature LEDs that let you know what functions are activated. Using the tower fan is a piece of cake, not to mention that you also receive a remote in the package.
If you’re wondering about the disadvantages, a few customers complained that this product can become unreliable after a while.
To prevent that, make sure you use it according to the instructions in the manual and if the unit stops working, contact the manufacturer right away to use your warranty policy.
My rating: 4.7/5
If you are looking for an elegant, tall, and slim tower fan, check out the T48303 model from Lasko.
This one measures 48 inches in height and it has a small footprint which means that you can put it anywhere you want in your room and never have to worry that it occupies too much space.
1. 4 speeds fan – this is a sophisticated model that has 4 operating speeds (the usual low, medium, and high + an eco-mode). All speeds are relatively quiet, especially the low and eco ones while the higher speeds provide better air distribution and more coolness.
2. Air ionizer – one of the biggest advantages of this product is that it comes with an air ionizer, so you don’t have to buy one separately. The air ionizer built inside this product protects you from allergens such as dust and pollen while minimizing the risks of developing a cardiovascular disease.
3. Widespread oscillation – not only that it purifies the air, but this tower fan from Lasko also offers widespread oscillation which moves the air around in an even manner. Regardless of where you put it in your house, you can rest assured that your entire personal space will be evenly cooled quickly.
4. Timer function – if you are worried about costs, you might be happy to find out that this product comes with a 7-hour timer which can be adjusted via the control panel or by using a remote. The timer can save you a lot of money throughout the year.
5. Safety plug – to prevent accidents and fires in homes, the professionals at Lasko have added special protection to the plug which stops the electrical current if a hazardous situation is encountered. Therefore, you can leave this appliance running when you sleep or leave the house without worrying about short-circuits or other electrical problems.
The only drawback might be that this model is not available in more color options, but that’s a minor disadvantage in my opinion.
My rating: 4.9/5
The last product in my list comes from SPT, a brand which makes a wide variety of household electronics such as kitchen appliances, tower fans, portable air conditioners, etc. t
The SF-1523 model is easy to use and comes with a special feature not encountered in other models.
1. Reclinable tower fan – unlike most other tower fans available on the market, this model from Lasko can be inclined up to 12 degrees, having a broader coverage when it comes to cooling your room. It also has air louvers which can be inclined up to 55 degrees, so the air is evenly distributed.
2. 3-speed settings – feel free to choose your preferred fan speed, depending on how quickly you want to cool a room. There are 3 speeds (low, medium, and high) and 2 fan modes to choose from. You can play with these settings from the control panel or by using the remote.
3. Air ionizer – you might be happy to find out that this appliance also comes with an air ionizer which eliminates dust, pollen, and other allergens from your room, improving air quality.
4. Timer function – this tower fan comes with a timer that can be programmed up to 7 hours and gives you the opportunity to save money and have a cool house when you come back from work.
5. Sturdy handle – the top-mounted handle makes it very easy for you to transport this appliance from one place to the other. The whole tower fan also weighs less than 10 pounds, so it can be moved by almost anyone in your household with little to no difficulty.
Some customers complain that this model doesn’t have a very powerful airflow, but it is not designed to cool down large rooms, warehouses or office spaces.
It should be used in residential properties to cool down living rooms, bedrooms and kitchens, so know exactly what to expect before buying.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does the fan come assembled or you have to assemble it by yourself?
Some fans arrive fully assembled while others might require you to snap the components together using basic tools or no tools at all. For example, some fans might require for homeowners to place them on stands and secure them into place, but this takes a couple of minutes, so it is not a difficult task to do. If you don’t want to assemble your fan at all, buy one which is ready to be used out of the box.
2. Is the noise level acceptable?
This depends on the fan you are using and the speed at which it operates. By definition, fans make a little bit of white noise, but manufacturers have developed ways to reduce that to a more acceptable level. The lowest speed settings are barely audible while higher fan speeds might sound like distant humming, but again, it depends on the tower fan you buy.
3. How long is the power cord?
Most tower fans come with a power cord which is at least 5-6 feet long, but you can always use a power strip if that’s too short for you. Best of all, some tower fans have special places to put the power cord, so you don’t trip on it.
4. What materials are tower fans made of?
This depends on each model individually, but most of the time, manufacturers use a blend of plastic and ceramic for the body of the fan and a metallic stand to keep it firmly on the ground. More sophisticated fans might incorporate steel or aluminum grills which make them look more eye-catching.
5. Are batteries included in the package (for the remote)?
Sometimes yes, sometimes not. It is best to check out the contents of the package and even ask the manufacturer if they supply the unit with batteries for the remote. Even if these are not included, remotes for tower fans usually utilize two AAA batteries which can be found almost anywhere at ridiculously low prices, so don’t let that discourage you from buying a tower fan.
6. How does the timer function work?
You set the timer in increments of 30 or 60 minutes and the tower fan will automatically shut down after this time has passed. This function is useful because you don’t have to manually stop the tower fan and you can save a lot of money in the long run.
For example, you can set the timer for 8 hours when you go to bed, the tower fan cools down your room while you sleep and when you wake up, you go about your day without having to stop the tower fan (because it shut down itself automatically).
7. How does the oscillation feature work?
Most tower fans are equipped with air louvers which move the air around as it is pushed outwards. This is called an oscillating fan and the angle at which the louvers can move is usually up to 90 degrees.
As a result of using this feature, the airflow is evenly distributed across the room, so anyone benefits from a cool breeze while you sit on the couch watching your favorite sitcoms with your family.
8. Can the air filter be removed and replaced?
Some tower fans can filter the air and in some cases, this filter can be removed and replaced. However, if the filter is not removable, you can clean it with a vacuum cleaner and make it as brand new. This process takes a couple of minutes and should be done once every few months.
Only Choose the Best Tower Fan
More and more homeowners buy tower fans because these accessories are affordable, can purify the air in the house, and don’t consume as much energy as a full-scale HVAC system. Now that you have a better understanding of tower fans, set up a budget, and decide what type of fan you need.
Go for a more powerful model if you plan to cool down a large living room. Also, are 3 speeds sufficient for you or you want more control over the cooling process which can lead you to buy a model with 4 or even 8 speeds? How about the air ionizer feature? Do you have such a product in your house already? If not, buying a tower fan with an air ionizer might be a brilliant idea!
Before settling for a tower fan, make sure that you also take a look at a few of them and consider their design. What color preferences you have? Do you want a tall or a compact and lightweight fan?
Lastly, consider the warranty policy offered by the manufacturer as it will definitely be useful in the long run if you ever encounter difficulties in using your appliance.