If you’re looking to make extremely precise cuts, you will need to look for the best scroll saw. It is very easy to work with and ideal for creating small decorations within wooden pieces. Scrolls saws are relatively compact woodworking tools which can have different blades and power options.
There are numerous woodworking tools you can use to craft different types of wooden elements such as picture and door frames, decorative objects, wooden toys, etc. For cutting larger and thicker pieces of wood (and metal), you can use jigsaws and band saws.
If you want to create complex shapes or cut wood to resemble the shape of a flower, animal or other objects, a scroll saw shouldn’t be missed from your toolbox. It is usually used to cut wood with a thickness of up to 2,5 inches and it can create very sharp turns, angle cuts and circular cuts which can make your wooden pieces look absolutely stunning.
This happens because the blade of the machine is relatively thinner and it can easily cut through different types of woods.
Keep reading to find out more about scroll saws and what makes them so special.
How to Choose a Scroll Saw?
This is one of the most important aspects of a scroll saw. The throat length is actually the distance between the blade and the back of the saw. It is usually specified in inches and it means that it can cut wooden pieces twice its length.
For example, if your scroll saw has an 18-inch throat length, the maximum length of a wooden piece it can cut is 36 inches. This information is vital because it determines what types of wooden elements you can create with your tool.
If you just started your woodworking career, it is a good idea to go for a 16-inch throat length which allows you to make basic cuts and learn the ropes of this exquisite activity. Once you get more experienced and you want to make more complex cuts, you can proceed to a scroll saw which has a throat length of 20, 22 or even 24 inches.
Anything beyond that is reserved for experts usually and in most cases, a 28 or 30-inch scroll saw is rarely used at its full potential.
Since the thickness of the wood it can cut is up to 2.5 inches, a scroll saw usually doesn’t need a large motor, so it will consume less energy in comparison with other woodworking tools such as band saws and jigsaws.
For example, most units have a 1.5 amp motor which can produce a maximum of 1500-1600 strokes per minute. Most scroll saws come with variable speed which basically means that you can select from 500 strokes per minute up to 1500, depending on your needs and preferences.
It is worth mentioning here that some scroll saws are corded while others are cordless. If you require a very compact tool to carry around, go for a cordless device. If you usually cut wood inside your workshop or garage, a corded scroll saw would be more appropriate for you.
There are usually two types of blades – pinned and unpinned. Pinned blades are utilized for thicker pieces of wood, so if you want to cut a plank of 2 inches, you’d better go for a pinned blade.
On the other hand, if you have thinner planks and want to make decorative and complex cuts, go for an unpinned one. Most scroll saws today allow you to easily change the blade as well by pressing just a single button, without requiring an additional tool.
Check this guide to know more about choosing the right blade for your scroll saw.
The work table is another important aspect you need to keep in mind when buying a scroll saw. it should be made from a tough material such as aluminum or cast iron, otherwise, it can get easily damaged after only a couple of months of use.
The texture and surface of the table should also be smooth as silk. This is important because you need to be able to easily move the wooden plank around to make various types of angled or circular cuts.
The size of the work table should be directly proportional to the size of the wooden pieces you work with on a regular basis. You can always build your own work table/stand.
More sophisticated scroll saws also allow you to tilt the table at certain angles to make special types of cuts. If you’re more advanced or simply want a better tool, go for scroll saws which allow the blade and work table to be tilted at angles up to 45 degrees.
Work light and dust blower
A good scroll saw also comes with a work light which is attached to an arm that can be positioned in any way you wish. This light will illuminate the work table which will improve the precision and quality of the cuts you make.
Similarly, the dust blower is also attached to a flexible arm which can be positioned to clear your work table of dust which results from cutting the wood planks.
If you want to make extremely precise cuts and make your cutting process more enjoyable, always go for a scroll saw which comes with a work light and a dust blower.
If you go for a corded model, make sure that you also get a stand included in the package. The stand is usually made from metals such as aluminum, cast iron or steel. It will be able to support your scroll saw and it is adjustable to your desired height.
The stand is ideal for working with a scroll saw in a small space and it will ensure a safe and comfortable cutting process.
Now that you know the basics of scroll saws, it is the right time to go ahead and find out which models are most popular and appreciated these days.
Here’s a video that explains things:
Stay on this page to learn more about the 12 top scrolls saws that woodworkers frequently use to craft beautiful wooden objects and toys.
Best Scroll Saws Reviews for 2018
Porter-Cable PCB375SS with stand
My rating: 4.9/5
Porter Cable is one of the most popular and appreciated power tools brands in the world. They continuously make tools since 1906 and the 18-inch scroll saw is ideal for beginners and experienced users alike.
Here are its main selling points:
1. 1.6 amp motor – this machine is equipped with an induction motor which is capable of up to 1500 strokes per minute. It has a variable speed knob which allows you to control the speed from 500 spm up to 1500 spm, depending on your cutting needs.
2. 20-inch work table – the table is large enough for performing all kinds of cuts on wooden planks. It is made from die-cast aluminum, it has a smooth finish and its dimensions are 20 by almost 13 inches. Thanks to its durability, you can use your scroll saw for years to come without worrying about damaging the work table.
3. Table tilt – you can also perform angled cuts if you wish as this table supports tilting up to 45 degrees on the right and up to 15 degrees on the left. In the package, you will also find a stand which allows you to make cuts virtually anywhere, including your workshop, garage, basement or even in the living room.
4. LED light and dust blower – this machine is equipped with an LED light which illuminates your work area as you cut wooden pieces. The dust blower is also designed to improve your precision and make your cutting process easier and more comfortable.
5. 3 years warranty – the warranty period for this model is limited to 3 years and you also get free service for one year and a 90-day money back guarantee. In other words, you can actually test this product for up to 3 months completely for free, so why shouldn’t you order one?
When it comes to disadvantages, a couple of customers complained that the stand was defective from the start.
However, Porter Cable was perfectly happy to make replacements and the problem was quickly solved, so if this happens to you as well, contact the manufacturer right away.
My rating: 4.7/5
Wen is another professional brand specialized in woodworking tools. Its products are not only reliable and sophisticated, but they also come at reasonable prices, so if you’re a beginner when it comes to woodworking tools, Wen’s products are a great place to start.
Here are more details about the 3920 scroll saw, an ideal machine for every woodworker.
1. Variable speed – this machine allows you to choose your preferred speed from 500 to 1600 strokes per minute. This can be done by just turning a dial. Choosing a higher speed allows you to easily make complex cuts through thick types of wood up to 1.9 inches in thickness.
2. 16 by 11-inch table – the table itself is made from cast iron and it is extremely durable. It can be angled at 45 degrees to the left, allowing you to perform different types of curved and complex cuts.
3. Uses pinned and pinless blades – this scroll saw from Wen is capable of handling both pinned and pinless blades which are 5 inches in size. Changing the blades can be done very easily by just releasing the holding clamp, without requiring any additional tool.
4. Work light and dust blower – your Wen woodworking tool is also equipped with a LED work light that can be adjusted according to your needs and preferences. You also benefit from a dust blower which eliminates small dust particles from your work surface, improving your precision and accuracy.
5. 2 years warranty – each Wen scroll saw comes with a 2 year limited warranty period which covers for defects. Wen also has a friendly customer service, so don’t hesitate to call them if you ever run into troubles with your machine.
Actually, there were a few customers who received defective Wen scroll saws, but this can rarely happen. The manufacturer was notified and they quickly sent out brand new scroll saws to the complaining customers.
The issue was fixed in a matter of days, so don’t let this minor disadvantage to stop you from getting a scroll saw.
Delta Power Tools 40-694
My rating: 4.8/5
Delta is another prestigious manufacturer which makes power tools, particularly woodworking tools such as scroll saws, band saws, spindle sanders, and others. The 40-694 model from this brand is highly sophisticated and can be used for complex cutting projects.
Here are its main strong points:
1. 1.3 amp motor – this tool comes with a 1.3 amp motor which can deliver from 400 up to 1750 strokes per minute. You can easily choose your preferred speed, depending on the thickness of the wood plank you’re cutting or how precise you want the cuts to be.
2. Available in 2 buying options – you can have this scroll saw with a work light and a stand included in the package, allowing you to work virtually anywhere and under any lighting condition. If you already have a stand and your place is well illuminated, you can go for the package without the stand and light and save a lot of money.
3. 16 x 24-inch table – the metallic table is relatively large in size and it is perfect for cutting large wood pieces. It tilts to 45 angles to the left and right which means that you can make amazing angled cuts for various woodworking projects.
4. 20-inch throat length – you will be able to cut wooden pieces as long as 40 inches using this machine as the throat length is 20 inches. Since the work table is polished, you can also rotate the wooden pieces any way you want to create stunning curved cuts.
5. 5 years warranty – the manufacturer is generous enough to offer a warranty period of up to 5 years for this product. You can request repairs or replacements during this timeframe if your unit has manufacturing defects.
There were a few customers who experienced problems with the on/off button. The manufacturer was happy to replace this component as soon as possible, so the issue was fixed relatively quickly.
Since this button is usually made of plastic, it can get deteriorated because of the vibrations produced when cutting wood. If it happens to you, contact the manufacturer and use your warranty policy.
My rating: 4.9/5
You definitely heard about Dewalt before, this is one of the most popular and appreciated manufacturers of power tools in the world.
The DW788 scroll saw is ideal for both small and large projects and it can actually be used for a lifetime if it is properly utilized and maintained.
Here are its benefits:
1. 1.3 amp motor – this motor is capable of producing from 400 to 1750 strokes per minute and it is designed to run smoothly and efficiently, requiring little to no maintenance. Use it to cut through wooden planks up to 2 inches in thickness.
2. Flexible arm – the arm which holds the blade can be lifted so you can make inside cuts if required. You can also adjust the tension of the blade by operating the controls mounted on top of the arm. The blade can also be changed without requiring any tools, you just have to press a button.
3. Cast iron table – the work table of this machine is made from cast iron and it has large dimensions, so you can cut pieces of wood of different sizes. It can also tilt to 45 degrees to both left and right which helps you make angled cuts within your wooden planks. The machine is also equipped with an adjustable dust blower which helps to keep the work surface clean.
4. Designed for reduced vibrations – the experts at Dewalt made this product to be as efficient, quiet, and comfortable to use as possible. You’ll experience some vibrations, but they are not too powerful to reduce your precision and accuracy when cutting.
5. 3 years warranty – Dewalt offers a warranty period of 3 years for most of its products and this model is not an exception. You also get free service for one year and a 90-day money back guarantee if you purchase this product as soon as possible.
The only drawback of this model is that it doesn’t come with a work light, but there are other models from Dewalt which include a flexible arm with a built-in LED light.
If you have a well-illuminated place such as a garage or a workshop, you might not need an additional LED light, so this is not really a big problem.
Here’s a video review of the Dewalt DW788:
My rating: 4.6/5
Genesis is a versatile brand which makes a wide variety of accessories and power tools such as scroll saws, cordless drills, and more.
Its products come at reasonable prices and they are very varied, allowing each customer to find something useful for him/her. The GSS160 model is easy to use and comes with two blades.
Let’s discover more details about this amazing product.
1. 1.2 amp motor – the 1.2 amp motor incorporated within this scroll saw can deliver speeds from 400 to 1600 strokes per minute. You can easily select the preferred speed by adjusting a dial mounted on top of the arm.
2. Quick change blade system – you don’t need additional tools to change the blades of this particular machine. It can be done by pressing the clamp which holds the blade. In the package, you’ll also find two blades and an Allen key which will be useful during the cutting process.
3. Dust blower – your Genesis scroll saw comes with a flexible dust blower which can be positioned in any way you want. This will keep the workspace free of dust and improve your precision when making small, curved cuts. Additionally, eliminating the dust will also prevent it from getting into your eyes or lungs, but it is recommended to wear protective eyeglasses just in case.
4. 14 by 10-inch table – although the metallic table is not the largest one out there, it is still excellent for minor and major cutting projects. It gives you the freedom to move the wooden planks in any direction you want. The table can also tilt 15 degrees to the left and 45 degrees to the right, allowing you to make angled cuts.
5. 2 years warranty – the manufacturer offers a warranty period of 2 years for this product which covers defective components and other types of damages.
No product is perfect and there were a few complaints regarding the reliability of this machine.
If you encounter problems with it, you can simply contact the manufacturer and ask for components replacement and repairs. Those instances when the machine was defective were very rare, though.
Shop Fox W1713
Company: Shop Fox
My rating: 4.8/5
Shop Fox makes a wide variety of tools such as band saws, table saws, scroll saws and other accessories for them.
The products from this brand are reliable and they come at accessible prices. For example, the W1713 model can be used for different types of woodworking projects and it is not difficult to operate.
Here are its main selling points.:
1. 1.2 amp motor – although this is not the most powerful motor out there, it is still capable of delivering from 550 to 1700 strokes per minute. You can select the speed from the dial mounted on top of the cutting arm, depending on the thickness of the wood you use.
2. Work light and dust blower – you might be happy to find out that this model comes with a work light which illuminates the metallic table, giving you great visibility. It also includes a dust blower which keeps the table clean and ensures you make accurate cuts all the times.
3. Cast iron table – the work table is sufficiently spacious to allow cutting projects of different complexities. It also tilts up to 45 degrees, so it will be very useful if you want to make angled cuts. The maximum cutting thickness for this machine is 2 inches.
4. Lightweight device – in comparison with other scroll saws available on the market, this product weighs about 35 pounds which is considered to be quite lightweight. You can carry it with you wherever you go with much ease and complete cutting projects more quickly.
5. 2 years warranty – the manufacturer also offers a warranty period of 2 years for this product which is great to have, just in case.
When it comes to disadvantages, there were a few complaints which stated that the cuts are not that accurate. This largely depends on the skill of the user and the way the machine is set up.
Make sure that you read the instructions carefully, adjust the scroll saw correctly and you’ll eventually be able to make amazing precision cuts.
Rockwell BladeRunner X2
My rating: 4.8/5
If you are looking for highly sophisticated and attractive power tools, take a look at the products made by Rockwell.
This brand is immensely popular and it makes a wide variety of woodworking tools such as scroll saws, band saws, circular saws, etc.
Let’s take a look at the X2 model which is highly popular and appreciated by woodworkers.
1. Available in 2 buying options – you can have this model as a standalone saw or together with a kit which contains 10 blades. The price difference between these two packages is minor and if you go for the one which includes the blade too, you’ll be able to make a wide variety of cuts during your projects.
2. Up to 3000 spm – yes, you read it right, this machine is capable of delivering up to 3000 strokes per minute which basically allows you to easily cut through wood, metal, and other types of materials. The speed is adjustable and the motor is designed to run as efficiently as possible.
3. Portable device – this machine is designed to be easy to carry and that’s why it weighs around 15 pounds. It even has a handle built in the work table which allows you to carry it with one hand wherever you go. If you routinely go to clients or construction sites to perform cutting jobs, this tool might be exactly what you need.
4. Accessories included – even if you don’t buy the 10-blade kit, your saw will come with other accessories such as a rip fence, tile blade for ceramics, miter gauge, a special blade for cutting metals, etc. You will be able to use this machine for different types of projects.
5. 3 years warranty – the manufacturer puts a 3-year warranty policy in the package which will be very useful in the rare case one of the machine’s component proves to be problematic.
Probably the only drawback of this scroll saw is the simple fact that it doesn’t have a dust blower, but don’t let that get in your way.
The machine can still be used with little to no effort, allowing workers to perform accurate and complex cuts in a matter of seconds.
Jet 727200K with Stand
My rating: 4.9/5
If you’re looking for a very sophisticated and complex scroll saw, you might want to take a look at the 727200K model from Jet.
This machine is equipped with all the necessary accessories required to make different types of cuts and it is the type of machine professionals would use for complex projects.
Let’s take a look at it:
1. Adjustable stand – this product comes with a metallic stand which can be adjusted in 4 different positions, depending on your preferences. By tweaking the leveling feet, you can set the set at heights up to 25, 27, 29 or 32 inches.
2. Cast iron table – the large table measures almost 13 by 23 inches and it is made from durable cast iron which can last for a lifetime and requires little to no maintenance. You have the possibility to make different types of cuts with great ease as the work table is strong, stable, and durable. The table also tilts up to 45 degrees to the right and 40 degrees to the left.
3. Dust blower – this model is equipped with a dust blower which consists of a flexible hose that can be positioned close to the place where the blade touches your wooden planks, eliminating dust in a matter of seconds. This keeps the work surface clean and improves your precision.
4. 22-inch throat capacity – this is one of the largest scroll saws you can find on the market. It has a 22-inch throat which allows you to cut wooden pieces up to 44 inches in length.
5. 5 years warranty – the manufacturer offers a generous warranty period of 5 years for this product, attesting to the reliability and quality of the machine. Feel free to contact the manufacturer if you ever encounter problems with this scroll saw.
When it comes to disadvantages, there are virtually none. A few customers complained about the large price of this machine, but when taking into account the quality of craftsmanship and the numerous accessories included in the package, the price becomes justified.
General Intl. BT8007
Company: General Intl.
My rating: 4.7/5
If you are interested in high-quality bench grinders, miter saws or scroll saws, take a look at the products made by General Intl. Power Products.
This company makes reliable and affordable power tools which can be used by beginners and experts alike.
Let’s take a look at the BT8007 model and see what sets it apart from the rest.
1. 1.2 amp motor – the motor which powers this scroll saw is capable of delivering from 400 to 1600 strokes per minute and it is designed to run smoothly and efficiently, requiring little to no maintenance. It can cut through wooden planks up to 2 inches in thickness.
2. 16 by 10-inch table – the work table is made from cast iron and it is sufficiently spacious for most woodworking projects. It bevels up to 45 degrees to the left and it has a smooth surface which allows you to easily adjust the wooden plank when cutting.
3. LED light – this machine is also equipped with a bright LED light which illuminates the workspace and improves visibility as well as your precision. The LED light is mounted at the end of a small flexible arm which means that you can position it in any way you like.
4. Dust blower – your scroll saw also comes with a dust blower which keeps the work surface clean and tidy. Use it to eliminate dust, especially when you make very small and precise cuts.
5. Storage compartment – unlike many other scroll saws on the market, this one comes with a storage compartment on its side. You can use it to put spare blades or other accessories, so you have everything in one place before beginning a cutting project.
When it comes to disadvantages, some customers reported that this machine might be difficult to use, especially if you’re a beginner.
Make sure that you read the instructions manual carefully and watch tutorials online if necessary, to learn how to operate it.
Rockwell ShopSeries RK7315
My rating: 4.7/5
There are more amazing products from Rockwell, including the RK7315 scroll saw which is ideal for small to medium cutting projects.
This tool is very easy to use and it comes at a small price, so if you’d like to start making decorative wooden objects, this scroll saw might be perfect for the job.
Here are its main advantages:
1. 1.2 amp motor – this compact motor is capable of delivering from 500 to 1700 strokes per minute and it can cut through wood up to 2 inches in thickness. The dial which adjusts the speed is conveniently located on top of the cutting arm where you have easy access to it.
2. Aluminum table – you’ll love the die-cast aluminum table which can bevel from 0 to 45 degrees, allowing you to make angled and complex cuts on different types of wood. The carbide blades included in the package are very durable and can be changed in a matter of seconds.
3. Dust blower – this machine also incorporates a dust blower which basically eliminates dust from the aluminum surface, improving your visibility and accuracy while cutting. The accumulated dust is stored in a separate container which can be cleaned after you have finished your cutting project.
4. Compact and lightweight – you might be happy to find out that this scroll saw weighs less than 28 pounds and it can be carried with you almost everywhere, thanks to its reduced size. It is designed to be compact, having a small footprint and occupy less space in your workshop.
5. 2 years warranty – you might never need to use your warranty policy, but the manufacturer provides you with a 2-year warranty card which covers the costs of replacing defective components or repairing damaged parts.
The only thing that is missing from this machine is a LED light, but even so, this scroll saw is still excellent for various woodworking projects. As long as you have a well-lit garage or workshop, you might never notice the absence of a LED light.
General Intl. Excalibur- EX-16
Company: General Intl.
My rating: 4.8/5
I want to present you another product from General International and it consists of the Excalibur scroll saw which allows tool-less blade changes and can be used for a wide variety of projects.
Let’s take a closer look at this product and see its main features.
1. Variable speed motor – the engine which powers this device can produce from 400 up to 1400 strokes per minute. You can adjust the speed with the dial mounted on top of the unit, depending on the thickness of the wood you are cutting. This machine can cut wood as thick as 2 inches and it can also cut metals if necessary.
2. 12 x 18.5-inch table – the work table is specially designed to allow users to cut large pieces of wood with great ease. It is made of a high-quality metal and it remains stable while the cutting head can be tilted 30 degrees to the left and 45 degrees to the right if you want to make angled cuts.
3. Dust blower – this machine is equipped with a high-quality dust blower and dust collection system which keeps your work surface clean. The best thing is that you can position the dust blower any way you want during the cutting process to improve your efficiency and accuracy.
4. Blade guard – the upper and lower blade guard prevent accidents while working as they surround the blade and don’t allow contact with the hand. This machine is also equipped with a protection which prevents it from starting up without your permission.
5. 2 years warranty – the manufacturer offers a warranty period of 2 years for this device and it offers a friendly customer service to its clients.
As a drawback, some customers reported that the machine makes a lot of vibrations while working, but this is to be expected from a machine designed to cut wood and metal.
The amount of vibrations depends on the speed of the motor and thickness of the material but eventually, everyone will get used to them.
Proxxon 37090 DSH/E
My rating: 4.7/5
The last product on our list comes from Proxxon, a brand which specializes in cutting tools, particularly engraving ones and scroll saws.
The 37090 model comes at a reasonable price and it can be used to cut different types of materials such as wood, non-ferrous metals, leather, foam, plexiglass, and more.
Let’s find out more about it:
1. Variable speed – the motor has a speed output between 200 and 1400 strokes per minute and a total power of 200 watts. The machine can be connected to a 110V-120V power outlet and allows you to easily control the operating speed depending on the materials you cut.
2. 14 by 10.5-inch table – this scroll saw is equipped with a work table made from aluminum which gives you the opportunity to easily cut large pieces of wood or metal. The table also supports tilting up to 45 degrees which helps you make complex angled cuts.
3. Dust blower – especially if you cut wood regularly, you’ll soon find out that a lot of dust can result from this process and that’s why this scroll saw is equipped with a dust blower which has a flexible arm and can be positioned in any way you want.
4. Comes with 10 blades – you might be happy to find out that this package contains 5 coarse blades and 5 fine blades which can be used for different types of projects, making straight cuts through thick wood or finer cuts through thinner woods.
5. 2 years warranty – the manufacturer also backs this product up with a warranty period of 2 years which covers for manufacturing defects and other similar problems.
Some customers complained that the scroll saw doesn’t come with a work light, but as long as you work in a well-lit environment, this shouldn’t be a big problem.
If a work light is absolutely necessary for you, there are many types of cheap lamps you can buy from a hardware store to illuminate your workspace.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What can a scroll saw be used for?
Although scroll saws can be used for a wide variety of cuts, including cutting through thick pieces of wood, this type of machine is more suitable for smaller, finer, and curved cuts necessary to make decorative wooden elements. You can virtually cut along the shape of an animal or flower in a thin wood plank and create beautiful items you can sell later if that’s what you wish.
2. Can I also cut other materials besides wood?
Yes, all scroll saws can be used for cutting ceramics, plastic, foam, leather, even non-ferrous metals, depending on the scroll saw you buy and the maximum motor speed. Make sure you ask the manufacturer exactly what types of materials your saw can cut before buying, to avoid confusion.
3. Do I always need a stand for my scroll saw?
Not necessarily. The stand is usually provided to save space and to ensure the woodworker utilizes the machine correctly. If you already have a sturdy work table in your garage or workshop, you might not need a stand. You can always build your own!
4. Are accessories included, particularly the power cord?
Yes, most scroll saws come with a power cord which can be connected to a 110V-120V power outlet, a couple of blades, maybe a miter gauge and a carrying case. Always check out the package before buying to ensure you get the best bang for your buck.
5. Is a scroll saw safe to use?
Yes. You might be happy to find out that all scroll saws are equipped with blade guards made from metal or glass. This prevents your hand from accidentally getting in the way of the blade.
Many scroll saws are also equipped with switch protections which prevent the machine from starting on its own. To ensure absolute safety, also wear protective eyeglasses, just in case. You can also download this safety operating procedure.
6. What is the maximum wood thickness a scroll saw can cut through?
It depends on the machine you are buying, but in most cases, a scroll saw can easily cut through a wooden piece up to 2 inches in thickness. Some machines can also cut through wooden planks up to 2.5 inches and this is usually specified by the manufacturer.
7. Is a scroll saw quiet?
A scroll saw is a powerful tool which has an electric motor, so it might not be whisper quiet. However, these tools don’t usually make a lot of noise either, especially if you buy one from a reputable manufacturer. As a good rule of thumb, the sound level increases with the speed of the motor, but generally, most scroll saws are considered to be fairly quiet.
8. What if I run into problems using my scroll saw?
First of all, make sure you read the instructions manual carefully and utilize your machine correctly, to prevent any problems in the first place. If the scroll saw proves to be troublesome, check out the manual and see if you can remedy the issue on your own.
In worst cases, contact the manufacturer and use your warranty policy. This will entitle you to free part replacements or repairs if necessary or you can get a brand new unit from the manufacturer.
Only Use Top Scroll Saws
Many people buy scroll saws, whether they have to execute complex cutting projects for their clients or want to start a hobby and begin making decorative wooden pieces. As you can probably see, the price range of scroll saws can stretch from $100 up to $1000 in some cases.
This largely depends on the power of the motor, type of blades used, size of work table and accessories included. If you’re a beginner, you’d probably be better with a standard scroll saw to help you learn the ropes and master simple cuts.
Last Words of Advice
Before buying, make sure that you set up the correct budget and take a look at the throat length which is the most important aspect. The longer the throat, the larger the pieces you can cut with your scroll saw.
Secondly, take a look at the motor and see how fast it can spin. Most powerful motors can produce between 500 and 1800 strokes per minute which means they can cut through thicker pieces of wood faster.
The size of the work table is also important and make sure this component is made from metal such as cast iron or aluminum. Wooden tables tend to get deteriorated very quickly and you definitely don’t want to end up spending more money on work tables, do you?
Lastly, check out the included accessories and see if your unit comes with a dust blower and work light which are highly practical in most cases. If you don’t have a sturdy table, you can also buy a scroll saw with a stand. Once you have covered all these aspects, you’ll be able to make a great decision when buying a scroll saw.